Winter Haven Truck Accident Lawyer
The potential for serious and even life-threatening injuries is higher than your typical car accident when a large truck is involved. If you’ve been in a truck accident in Winter Haven, you’re probably worried about paying medical bills, getting back to work, and providing for your family.
JustCallMoe is your trusted truck accident attorney in Winter Haven. We’re here to seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
How Do Truck Accidents Differ From Car Accidents?
Truck accidents fall into their own category of personal injury cases because they are, on average, more complicated than accidents involving passenger vehicles.
These are a few basic ways that truck accidents differ from car crashes:
Because of the combined factors of size, weight, and speed, truck accident injuries tend to be much worse than those resulting from automobile accidents. A victim may face permanent, life-altering injuries from these catastrophic wrecks. As a result, the victim can expect significant medical bills, pain and suffering, and potentially the end of a promising career.
The parties involved
When two cars get into a wreck, it’s usually a question of which driver is at fault. Truck accidents usually involve more parties. Besides the driver, the at-fault parties may include the driver’s employer (the trucking company), freight companies, leasing companies, mechanics, repair shops, and others. Hiring a truck accident lawyer in Winter Haven will help identify all parties that may be held accountable.
Truck accidents tend to involve more evidence. For example, trucks have event data recorders (also known as black boxes) that provide critical crash-related data. Trucking companies keep records concerning their personnel, employee training, truck maintenance, and repairs. Drivers are also required to keep logs relating to how much time is spent driving versus resting. This is all in addition to the typical evidence related to accidents.
Trucks carry higher insurance coverage limits because of their potential to cause serious injuries. But this doesn’t make the insurance companies more generous to accident victims.
More money on the line makes the insurers all the more combative, uncooperative, and prone to deny claims.
Commercial trucks are subject to a different set of laws and regulations. State and federal rules limit the amount of weight that trucks can carry. There are also restrictions on how much time a driver can spend operating the truck and how much break time is required. An entire federal agency, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, regulates the safety of large trucks.
An expert witness is someone with specialized knowledge who can explain complex subjects to a jury. While these individuals are helpful in any case, they are indispensable in a truck accident lawsuit. Considering the above factors like injury severity and trucking regulations, your accident case may require the testimony of more than a few expert witnesses.
Types of Truck Accident Cases We Handle in Winter Haven
JustCallMoe represents victims in any kind of large truck accident. A few of the most common types of truck crashes are:
- Rollover accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Wide turn accidents
- Underride accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Blind spot accidents
- Tire blowouts
- Cargo spills
- Rear-end accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Brake failures
- Driving under the influence (DUI) accidents
What to Do After a Truck Accident
Your safety and legal interests are your first two priorities after being in a truck accident. To protect yourself, we recommend you do the following:
- Call the police: Call 911 and ask for the police. They will report to the scene and generate a police report, a copy of which you should ask for later.
- Seek medical attention: If there are injuries, ask for medical assistance when you call 911. Even if you don’t think you’ve been injured, however, see a doctor.
- Provide a factual but brief description: Be honest with the police but be brief. Relay only the basic facts about the accident and do not guess about why or how it occurred.
- Do not apologize: Offering an apology could be mistaken for an admission of liability. Even if it turns out you aren’t at fault it’s difficult to walk back an apology.
- Do not comment about your injuries: Making any statement about the nature or severity of your injuries is strongly discouraged. You should especially not say you are okay or fine.
- Get details about the truck: Write down the license, plate numbers, registration, insurance carrier, and contact information for the truck driver. Include any other identifying details.
- Call a truck accident lawyer in Winter Haven: At your earliest convenience, give JustCallMoe a call. When you retain us we will get to work investigating and building a case right away.
- Do not speak with insurance adjusters or the truck company’s attorneys: Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company or lawyers representing the trucking company. Refer them to your attorney.
- Do not sign anything: If you receive any documents from the trucking company’s lawyers or insurers, do not sign them. Turn them over to your attorney.
- Follow all medical advice: It’s critical that you follow your doctor’s advice, take any prescribed medication, and attend all subsequent medical appointments. Failure to do so may jeopardize your legal case.
How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit?
There is a time limit to filing a personal injury lawsuit after being in a truck accident. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations.
Florida law recently gives victims two years from the accident date to file. If you don’t file by this date, your claim may be forever barred and you will be forced to pay for your losses out of pocket. Our personal injury lawyer in Winter Haven can help you meet important deadlines and follow legal procedures. The first step is to reach out.
Contact Our Winter Haven Truck Accident Lawyer
Although you have some time to file your claim, you shouldn’t wait to take action. Evidence can be lost and memories can fade with time. Hiring a truck accident attorney in Winter Haven is the best way to secure your rights.
Florida Auto Accident Lawyer
You Don't Pay, Unless We Win.
When you've been injured in an accident, you're likely dealing with much more than just your injuries and property damage. Dealing with your insurance claim can be an added stressor that you shouldn't have to worry about. When you call us, we'll take the burden of dealing with the insurance companies off your shoulders. We'll deal with the insurance company, so you can focus on getting better.About Us Play Video