Car fires can be a truly terrifying consequence of car accidents. A rising number of these fiery incidents in Orlando, Florida recently has ignited an urgent conversation about safety measures and understanding victims’ rights. As your trusted personal injury law firm in Orlando, we’re here to guide you through the often-complicated aftermath.
When Cars Catch Fire: What’s Causing It?
Modern vehicles are complex machines where mechanical, electrical, and chemical systems interact constantly. Unfortunately, this can lead to situations where car fires can occur. A few of the most common causes include:
Fuel System Leaks: Following a collision, fuel lines can rupture, leading to fuel leaks. This fuel can easily catch fire from hot surfaces or sparks.
Electrical System Failures: With the proliferation of electric and hybrid cars, faulty batteries can cause vehicle fires. In 2021, GM had to recall over 68,000 Chevy Bolt electric vehicles due to battery fires.
Overheating Engines: A failing cooling system can cause an engine to overheat, potentially causing flammable fluids to ignite.
These are just a few scenarios, but the reality is that any number of combinations can lead to a car fire following an accident.
Steps to Take If Your Car Catches Fire During an Accident
In the wake of a car fire accident, your first priority should always be safety. Here are the steps you should take:
- Get Out Safely: If it’s possible and safe, exit the vehicle and assist others in doing the same. Your life and health are more important than any vehicle.
- Call 911: Firefighters are trained to handle vehicle fires, and they can help ensure everyone is safe.
- Don’t Attempt to Put Out the Fire Yourself: Vehicle fires can rapidly change and become dangerous. Leave it to the professionals.
- Document the Scene: If it’s safe to do so, take pictures or videos of the accident scene from a safe distance.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t have visible injuries, you should see a doctor. Some injuries aren’t immediately apparent.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Consult with an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer: A knowledgeable attorney can help you navigate the claims process and protect your rights.
The Role of an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney
As a victim, it’s important to know your rights and seek compensation for any losses incurred. This is where we come in. As personal injury attorneys in Orlando, Florida, our experienced attorneys at JustCallMoe will review the facts of your case, determine liability, and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Car fires resulting from accidents can be horrifying and confusing events. Taking the right steps and consulting with experienced legal professionals can make a world of difference in the aftermath. Remember: your safety comes first, but your rights are our priority.
If you or someone you know is involved in such an accident, do not hesitate to reach out to us. As your trusted personal injury law firm in Orlando, we are ready to stand by your side.