Orlando Brain Injury Lawyer
When someone is in an accident, brain damage can be one of the most serious injuries they can sustain. Brain damage can limit cognitive function and it can affect movement and responses throughout the body. If you or a loved one sustained a brain damage injury due to someone else’s negligence, it is essential to get the compensation you deserve. A reputable lawyer at Orlando, FL’s Dewitt Law Firm will see to it that your losses and expenses are covered.
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can be mild or severe in nature. However, brain injuries should always be taken seriously as even mild injuries can have long-lasting effects that manifest over time.
More severe brain injuries are called Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI’s) and they are characterized by the following symptoms:
- Disorientation or confusion
- Neurological or neuropsychological symptoms
- A score of 13 or higher on the Glasgow Coma Score
Common types of TBI’s include the following:
- Concussions: Concussions are caused by impact to the head or violent shaking of the head. It can also be brought on by whiplash-type movements. Concussions aren’t always serious, but they can result in post-concussion syndrome which can last for months. If a second concussion occurs before the first concussion clears up, it can lead to second impact syndrome. This can cause swelling of the brain that could be fatal.
- Contusion: Contusions are a result of impact to the head that causes severe bruising or bleeding. They are defined as a bruise to the brain tissue. They generally occur in the cortical tissue where the impact took place. Contusions that involve swelling often require surgery and can be fatal or lead to permanent brain damage.
- Coup Contracoup: This is a condition that occurs when there are two contusions on both sides of the brain. The first contusion is the result of the initial impact and the second is the result of the head being hit with such force that the brain slams into the other side of the skull.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: This type of injury occurs when the brain lags behind the movement of the skull tearing parts of the brain. It often occurs in car accidents and is associated with whiplash. The back and forth movement can disrupt the nerve cells and the ability to transmit messages.
- Penetration: Penetration is an injury that occurs when a bullet or sharp object such as a knife comes in contact with the brain. It often results in death.
- Hematoma or Blood Clot: These are characterized by masses of blood or a pronounced swelling between the skull of the brain.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries often occur in car accidents. However, they can occur in other circumstances as well. Here are some common causes of TBI’s.
- Falls: Many people incur TBI’s when they fall and hit their heads.
- Violence: Gunshot and knife wounds to the brain are considered TBI’s. Babies can also get TBI’s if their caretakers shake them violently.
- Sports Injuries: It is not uncommon for athletes to suffer from TBI’s. Sports such as soccer, boxing, football, hockey, lacrosse, skateboarding, and other extreme sports are likely to cause TBI’s.
- Explosive Blasts and Combat Injuries: It is common for military personnel to suffer from TBI’s. Explosions, in particular, are likely to cause brain injuries. It is believed that the blast can cause a pressure wave that disrupts brain function.
Finding a Lawyer for Your Brain Injury Case
No matter what the cause of your brain injury may be, it’s essential to find a lawyer to make sure you are compensated for your damages. A lawyer will target at-fault parties, help you gather evidence to build your case, and make sure your lost wages, medical expenses, and emotional pain and suffering are covered.
If you are looking for a lawyer in the Orlando, FL area, call the Dewitt Law Firm first.
The Dewitt team understands how frustrating the legal process can be. They take a look at your case and come up with a creative approach that will ensure you get the best results possible. They are known for their caring approach, their affordable rates, and their aggressive representation.
If you or a loved one suffered from a TBI, the Dewitt team can get you the compensation you deserve. Call them for all your legal needs.
Florida Auto Accident Lawyer
You Don't Pay, Unless We Win.
When you've been injured in an accident, you're likely dealing with much more than just your injuries and property damage. Dealing with your insurance claim can be an added stressor that you shouldn't have to worry about. When you call us, we'll take the burden of dealing with the insurance companies off your shoulders. We'll deal with the insurance company, so you can focus on getting better.About Us Play Video