Orlando Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
If you were involved in a Florida hit and run and you are trying to get coverage for your damages, it’s important to have an experienced Orlando car accident lawyer on your side. Moe DeWitt will see to it that justice is served.
Common Causes of Hit and Runs
There are many reasons why drivers don’t want to pull over after getting into an accident. They may be driving without insurance or they may be driving without a license. They may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or maybe they know that accident was their fault and they just don’t want to deal with it.
Whatever the reason may be, it is the driver’s responsibility to pull over, get out, and give their insurance information to the other driver. Failing to do so is illegal in Florida, and it makes it more complicated an injury victim to be compensated for damages.
How to Get Compensation for a Hit and Run
If you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident, it can be difficult to get compensation, but it’s not impossible.
Drivers can become compensated if they have uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist coverage on their policy. This is a type of supplemental insurance drivers can purchase. It is designed to cover people who were injured in an accident by an uninsured driver or a driver who doesn’t have enough coverage on their policy to cover the accident. It can also provide coverage for hit and run victims.
In Florida, victims can get coverage without proving the other vehicle made contact with their car. They only need to prove that the other vehicle caused the accident.
Another option is to make a police report about the hit and run. If the police can locate the hit-and-run driver, the victim may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver and become compensated that way.
Penalties for Leaving the Scene of an Accident in Florida
In addition to owing damages on the accident, if a driver leaves the scene of a hit and run, he may be facing other penalties. Here are the penalties he may be facing according to Florida law:
- If the accident resulted in injuries, the offense is considered a third-degree penalty that is punishable by 5 years in prison, 5 years probation, or a $5000 fine.
- If the accident resulted in a death, it is considered a first-degree felony which is punishable by 30 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. If it was found the driver was driving under the influence, he will also get a mandatory prison sentence of two years.
- If the hit and run caused property damage, it is seen as a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- In cases where an injury or death occurred, the license of the driver will also be revoked.
What to Do After Being in an Orlando Hit and Run Accident
As long as you aren’t seriously injured after the hit and run accident, follow these steps:
- Remain calm and remove your vehicle from the road.
- Call 911 to request the police or emergency medical care.
- Take photos of the scene and write down any details you remember of the driver’s car.
- Speak to any witnesses and ask for their information.
- Contact your insurance company. You may have to make a claim against your uninsured motorist coverage if the hit and run driver cannot be found.
Finally, get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in Orlando to help preserve and obtain evidence.
Get an Experienced Lawyer for Your Orlando Hit and Run Accident
If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, a lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve whether a driver flees the scene or not. They can find ways for you to get coverage for your damages, even if the at-fault parties cannot be found.
If you are looking for a hit and run lawyer in the Orlando, FL area, JustCallMoe!
Moe DeWitt has years of experience in car accidents and personal injury law. Our team at JustCallMoe is known for our aggressive representation, sense of transparency, and winning reputation. We will fight tirelessly to see to it that justice is served.
Fleeing from the scene of an accident is a terrible thing to do. Don’t let at-fault drivers get away with it. Contact JustCallMoe at 866-225-5663 to begin a case for the compensation you deserve.
Florida Auto Accident Lawyer
You Don't Pay, Unless We Win.
When you've been injured in an accident, you're likely dealing with much more than just your injuries and property damage. Dealing with your insurance claim can be an added stressor that you shouldn't have to worry about. When you call us, we'll take the burden of dealing with the insurance companies off your shoulders. We'll deal with the insurance company, so you can focus on getting better.About Us Play Video