If you were injured in Florida sideswipe accident, you are entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and pain and emotional suffering. The Dewitt Law Firm will see to it that you are covered for your damages.
Common Causes of Sideswipe Accidents
Sideswipe accidents often occur when one vehicle tries to get into the lane next to them without realizing another car is there. This may occur because they fail to check if they are clear to get over. The other car may also fall into their blindsight.
Here are some other instances where a sideswipe auto accident may occur.
- Oncoming vehicles sideswipe another vehicle after avoiding a head-on collision.
- Drivers sideswipe other vehicles at intersections while attempting to turn.
- Drivers get over too far and sideswipe parked vehicles.
When Sideswipe Accidents are Dangerous
In most cases, sideswipe accidents do not result in extensive injuries. However, there are instances where this can be an exception. These are as follows:
- When a large vehicle sideswipes a smaller vehicle: Not only will the impact be extremely dangerous to the smaller vehicle due to the weight imbalance, the lower and heavier part of the large vehicle might hit the higher, lighter part of the smaller vehicle to cause extensive damage.
- Tractor-Trailer Side Underride: 18-Wheeler accidents can be deadly. This particular type of sideswipe accident occurs when the side of a tractor-trailer connects with the side of a small vehicle. If the trailer’s bottom edge is higher than the vehicle, the smaller car can roll beneath the side of the trailer causing upper vehicle damage that can seriously injure passengers and drivers.
- Full Side Engagement: When an oncoming vehicle avoids a front-end crash, the sideswipe can occur along the entire length of the vehicle to do considerable damage.
- Speeding: Speeding causes more impact making sideswipe accidents more severe.
Safety Features Do Not Prevent Sideswipe Accidents
There are several features that modern cars are equipped with that work to prevent and/or reduce the severity of sideswipe accidents. However, these do not completely eliminate the likelihood that they will occur.
Many vehicles come with side reinforcements and stronger passenger compartments. Seat belts and airbags are also helpful. However, they can’t prevent injuries completely.
There is not a lot of space between the cushion and the outside world. Therefore, when an accident occurs, passengers and drivers will still absorb a good amount of the impact.
Lane assist is another feature that helps reduce sideswipe accidents. It alerts drivers when they are leaving their lanes and offers automatic braking and steering to give drivers time to regain control of their vehicles.
However, studies have shown lane assist is not effective when drivers fall asleep or if they are drunk or medicated. In these cases, the drivers will not have time to resume control.
Finding a Lawyer for Your Sideswipe Crash
If you have been injured in an Orlando, FL sideswipe crash, it’s essential to have a reputable auto accident lawyer on your side. The Dewitt Law Firm can help you get the compensation you need.
The Dewitt Law Firm is known for putting its clients first and making sure they get the compensation they deserve. With tons of experience in car accident cases, their expertise will help you get winning results. They will guide you through the legal process and fight tirelessly to see to it that you get the outcome you are looking for.
Sideswipe accidents can result in serious injuries. Make sure your damages are covered. Call the Dewitt team to get the closure you are looking for.